We take pride when writing our programs, in ensuring that we research and fully understand Mindfulness. Please take some time to view some of our research sources and suggested links below.
- Center for Mindfulness
- Athens Mind Body Institute
- Insight Meditation Society
- Next MBSR Class – contact Mike Healy for dates and times
- Mindfulness meditation and body scan tapes available at www.mindfulnesstapes.com
- Mind Body Institute – Athens, GA additional mind body practices at http://www.athenshealth.org/mbi
- Healing Arts Center, Prince Ave. – mindfulness sitting Tuesdays from 7:30 – 9pm
- Red Lotus Institute, 2080 Prince Ave. Athens, 706.549.2913
- Southern Dharma Retreat Center — www.southerndharma.org
- Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA – www.dharma.org/ims.htm
- OMEGA —Holistic Learning Centers Contact: www.eomega.org
- Center for Mindfulness, Worcester, MA – Phone: 508.856.2656
- www.deeshan.com (Meditation tips for the day)
Do not believe anything on the mere authority of teachers or priests. Accept as true and as the guide to your life only that which accords with your own reason and experience, after thorough investigation. Accept only that which contributes to the well being of yourself and others.”
- Joseph Goldstein (1976). “The Experience of Insight: A Natural Unfolding.” Santa Cruz, CA: Unity Press.
- Mike Healy (2001). “The Insight (Vipassana) Meditation Transformational Learning Process: A Phenomenological Study.” Ed.D. Dissertation. Athens, GA: The University of Georgia.
- Jon Kabat-Zinn (1990). “Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness.” New York: Dell Publishing.
- Jon Kabat-Zinn (1994). “Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life.” New York: Hyperion.
- Jack Kornfield (1993). “A Path With Heart.” New York: Bantam Books.
- Jack Kornfield (2000). “After the Ecstasy, the Laundry.” New York: Bantam Books.
- Krishnamurti (1972). “The Flight of the Eagle.” New York: Harper & Row Publishers.
- Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler (1998). “The Art of Happiness.” New York: Penguin Putnam.
- Mary Rose O’Reilley (1998). “Radical Presence: Teaching as Contemplative Practice.” Portsmith, NH: Boynton/Cook Publishers.
- Sharon Salzberg (1995). “LovingKindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness.” Boston, Shambhala Publications.
- Saki Santorelli (1999). “Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine.” New York: Bell Tower.
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (1982). “An out-patient program in behavioral medicine for chronic pain patients based on the practice of mindfulness meditation: Theoretical considerations and preliminary results.” General Hospital Psychiatry, 4, 33-47.
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (1993). “Mindfulness meditation: Health benefits of an ancient Buddhist practice.” In D. Goleman & J. Gurin (Eds.), Mind/Body medicine. Yonkers: Consumer Reports Books.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., Chapman, A., & Salmon, P. G. (1997). “Relationship of cognitive and somatic components of anxiety to patient preference for different relaxation techniques.” Mind/Body Medicine, 2(3), 101-109.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., & Chapman-Waldrop, A. (1988). “Compliance with an outpatient stress reduction program: Rates and predictors of completion.” Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 11, 333-352.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., Lipworth, L., & Burney, R. (1985). “The clinical use of mindfulness meditation for the self-regulation of chronic pain.” Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 8(2), 163-189.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., Lipworth, L., Burney, R., & Sellers, W. (1986). “Four-year follow-up of a meditation-based program for the self-regulation of chronic pain: Treatment outcomes and compliance.” Clinical Journal of Pain, 2, 159-173.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., Massion, A., Kristeller, J., Peterson, L. G., Fletcher, K., Pbert, L., Lenderking, W., & Santorelli, S. F. (1992). “Effectiveness of a meditation-based stress reduction program in the treatment of anxiety disorders.” American Journal of Psychiatry, 149, 936-943.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., Massion, A. O., Hebert, J. R., & Rosenbaum, E. (1998). Meditation. In J. C. Holland (Ed.), “Textbook on psycho-oncology” (pp. 767-779). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kabat-Zinn, J., Wheeler, E., Light, T., Skillings, A., Scharf, M., Cropley, T., Hosmer, D., & Bernhard, J. (1998). “Influence of a mindfulness meditation-based stress reduction intervention on rates of skin clearing in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis undergoing phototherapy (UVB) and photochemotherapy (PUVA).” Psychosomatic Medicine, 60, 625-632.
- Miller, J., Fletcher, K., & Kabat-Zinn, J. (1995). “Three-year follow-up and clinical implications of a mindfulness-based stress reduction intervention in the treatment of anxiety disorders.” General Hospital Psychiatry, 17, 192-200.
- Salmon, P. G., Santorelli, S. F., & Kabat-Zinn, J. (1998). “Intervention elements promoting adherence to mindfulness-based stress reduction programs in the clinical behavioral medicine setting.” In S. A. Shumaker & E. Schron & J. Ockene & W. McBee (Eds.), Handbook of health behavior change (2nd ed., pp. 239-266): Springer.
Time past and time future. Allow but a little consciousness. To be conscious is not to be in time.
T. S. Eliot, “Burnt Norton,” Four Quartets