Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workshop
Realizing Greater Health & Happiness
Starts Monday, February 19, 2018; Register today, class size limited.
Sponsored by the Loran Smith Center on the Piedmont Athens Regional Campus
Ancient wisdom and modern science are blended in this workshop, creating one of the most effective programs for healthy and happy living available today. Learn how relax, to reduce stress, change your relationship to physical or emotional pain, and cope better with everyday demands. Deepen your relationship with yourself, others, and your environment.
You will learn a variety of mindfulness practices – meditation, body-scan, gentle stretching with awareness, informal mindfulness and more. Learn how to take better care of yourself using your own mind body resources.
Classes meet Mondays, starting February 19, from 6 – 8:30 p.m.; Registration fee: $225 – Includes eight, two-hour class sessions with instruction; a workbook with handouts, and two CDs with guided mindfulness practices, and a one-day mindfulness retreat (on Saturday, March 24, 2018 from 9 am – 4 pm).
- Learn to be able to respond in difficult situations, rather than react
- Live with more balance, energy, understanding and enthusiasm
- Better manage and reduce pain levels in many instances
- Improve concentration and focus and resilience
- Gain insights into what works in your life, and what is not working
- Learn how to relax and more fully enjoy your life
- Enjoy a calm energy, peace
- Develop more compassion for yourself and others
Who will benefit from this workshop
- Mindfulness is proven to be effective in helping with: chronic, work, family, or financial stress; anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, GI distress, chronic illnesses, pain, insomnia, and more.
- Participation is not limited to those who have or have survived cancer.
- This workshop is offered to complement traditional medical and psychological treatments, not as a replacement.
Classes will be held at the Healing Lodge, next to the Loran Smith Center, on the Piedmont Athens Regional campus, 240 Talmadge Dr., Athens GA 30606.
There are several different ways you may register and pay for this workshop:
- Scroll down to and click on the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workshop listing
- In the “Class Title or Event” box scroll down to and select the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Workshop-Athens – click on GET RESULTS
- Click on the Mindfulness… option (in red print)
- Read the workshop details and follow the prompts to complete your on-line registration
Call 877-527-3712 for someone to assist you with the registration using a credit card
- 2. Check payment
- Checks payable to the Loran Smith Center for Cancer Support
Mail to Loran Smith Center, 1199 Prince Avenue, Athens, GA 30606
Mike Healy is certified to teach MBSR by the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Center for Mindfulness in Medical, Health Care, and Society; and is certified to teach Integral Hatha Yoga.
with questions or call 706-543-0162.
This MBSR workshop is based on Jon Kabat-Zinn’s MBSR program developed at the Center for Mindfulness, University of Massachusetts.
Please share this information with friends who may benefit from this workshop.
May you realize greater peace,
Nearly thirty years of scientific research at medical centers world-wide find that training in mindfulness through Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction workshops reduces stress, anxiety, and increases general well-being and overall happiness.
For research on Mindfulness visit http://www.goamra.org
for the American Mindfulness Research Association.
Free offerings from the Loran Smith Center, Piedmont Athens Regional
The Four Foundations of Mindfulness – How to Practice
A free discussion and mindfulness practices that will explore what mindfulness is and how it can change your relationship to stress, anxiety and other afflictive emotions.
When: This Mindfulness Discussion & Practice Evening is August 11, 2017 from 5:30 – 6:30-p.m. and is held on the second Friday of each month. There is no charge, parking is free.
Who: You are welcome to attend, whether you are just curious about mindfulness, the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction workshop, or have a regular practice, please join us.
Where: This class is offered through the Loran Smith Center, Piedmont Athens Regional and held in the Healing Lodge next to the Loran Smith Center, located at 240 Talmadge Dr., Athens, GA 30606 on the Piedmont Athens Regional campus. Free parking. Directions: Take Prince Avenue away from downtown, turn left onto Talmadge Dr. just past the hospital; the Healing Lodge is on your right.
More Information: Please call 706-475-4900 or email LoranSmithCenter@athenshealth.org or to register for the next Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction workshop starting August 21, 2017 go to http://www.piedmont.org/locations/piedmont-athens/loran-smith-cancer-center .
Talks and guided meditations are by Mike Healy, (MindfuLiving.org) Certified to teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction by the Univ. of Massachusetts, Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare and Society.
The Mindfulness Practice Group
– meets every second Friday of the month from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. These mindfulness meditation sessions are free and open to the public – for those just interested in learning more about mindfulness practices, beginners, and those with established practices. All are welcome.
And the Mindfulness Dedicated Practitioners Group meets at the Healing Lodge on the first and third Saturday from 8:30-9:30 a.m. All are welcome-just drop-in, no fee or advanced registration. Parking is free.
Directions: the Healing Lodge, next to the Loran Smith Center, Piedmont Athens Regional, 240 Talmadge Drive, Athens, 30606. Advanced registration not needed. Free parking.
Gentle Integral Hatha, Mindful Yoga Class
On-going yoga class; meets on Tuesdays, 5:30-7p.m. at St. Gregory Episcopal Church, 3195 Barnett Shoals Rd. Athens 30605. Drop-in class (no “punch cards” – just come when you want), $10 per class – bring a yoga mat and cushion. More information at: www.MindfuLiving.org contact Mike at: email@example.com
Mindfulness Practice Group, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction workshop, and Hatha Yoga classes are facilitated by Mike Healy who is certified to teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction by the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and certified Integral Hatha Yoga instructor (RYT 200). For information about these mindfulness learning opportunities, please contact: www.MindfuLiving.org, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 706-543-0162